I feel like I stared these socks forever ago but they really only took me a couple months to make.
I fell in love with Knitty's Blackrose Socks and set this yarn aside for them as soon as I bought it. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the pattern was written cuff down. I. Hate. Cuff. Down.
Now that I've finally figured out how to make socks that fit me great, I really refuse to do them any other way if I can help it. Toe up socks with a gusset, slightly increasing over the ball of my foot and decreasing extra after the heel turn. I was lazy with these ones and figured I'd just work the chart rows 8 to 1 instead of 1 to 8 and see how it came out. It does not come out the same. But I'm ok with that.
Someday I'll have to knit them again, either working the chart in the right direction but from the toe up, or rewriting it to work out backwards. I feel like I'll be doing a lot of that in the future.
I also knit these with the purl bottoms, just like my Open Hands Socks. Two pairs done and I don't need to do a third to understand two things: 1- I don't like working on these socks when they have the purl bottom. It makes me hate them the whole way through, even after I've turned the heel. 2- The purl bottoms don't feel any different than a regular knit sock.
Conclusion: It's not worth the hassle. It was worth a shot though.
Pattern: Blackrose Socks
Project Page: Bluerose Socks
Needles: US 0
Mods: Many! Worked toe-up with a heel gusset, following the chart rows backwards from written directions. Sole of the sock worked in reverse stockinette stitch.