Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Book Review: Entrelac

Whenever a designer comes to the Brooklyn Fiber Arts Guild, I try to purchase the book they are promoting.  Sometimes I purchase it at the event or othertimes I'll get it ahead of time.  This month I am very glad I purchased this one ahead of time.  I've been having such a great time learning to knit entrelac...it was so easy with this book.

So what's the book you ask?  It's Entrelac: The Essential Guide to Interlace Knitting by Rosemary Drysdale.  This book is everything a knitter could ask for in an instructional book.  It's 3-in-1!  First, of course, is the learn to knit entrelac section.  The many many photographs and very simple instructions made this a quick learning experience for me.



Next section- Why, it's a stitch dictionary!  Now that I know how entrelac is accomplished, I can experiement with the many different stitches Rosemary includes in the book.  They give you a chance to take it just a step further and they create some interesting textures.


The last section of course has patterns.  And these aren't just the typical unflattering entrelac sweaters or dishcloths.  Oooohhh no!


There's this amazing grey/black/white vest that I'm dying to make as soon as possible (you know, after all those other UFOs are finished).





There are a couple of patterns that I don't like in here though.  The socks.  They just....well, Rachel from the Guild said it best- no one should knit entrelac socks unless they want to have cankles.  Yea, I'm going to have to agree here.  I do like the



Then there's the Edwardian Coat.  I actually really like the pattern, just not the choice of yarn.  I like the striping on the sleeves and at the waist, but I don't like the way the entrelac squares stripe.  It's just too much for me.


Overall, I would definitely recommend this book!  With flying colors!!!  Here a peak at the entrelac I've been working on/learning with since I got the book:


There will be a post on this project at some point in the future...it's made with some very special yarn :o)



Another entrelac project I'm planning?  A leftover sock yarn baby blanket.  Since you'll have lots of ends to weave in either way (as long as you're using different colors at least), might as well use up those odds and ends!  First I have to knit more socks so I have more leftover yarn!

Want to purchase the book?  Here's a direct Amazon link:

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I've been eyeing this book for a while ever since I made some Entrelac socks. I'll be sure to pick up this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog! I really liked your posts!Keep up the good work!
    Web Design Bangalore

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails