Thursday, March 18, 2010

Book Review: Knitting Lingerie Style Part 1

I mentioned a bit ago that I took Knitting Lingerie Style by Joan McGowan-Michael* out of the library to help promote more investment in knitting books.  I can't say how much I love this book!  I really really really want to knit so many patterns from it.


The book is divided into chapters based on a specific undergarment.

Chapter 1:  The Bra

Breasts, as any woman knows, can be rather unruly body parts.  They bounce, jiggle, sway, and flop as a matter of course.1  Boy, do I know it.  This is one of my favorite chapters.  The first pattern is of course the Basic Bra. This does not look like an easy pattern:  underwire, lots of sewing and seaming.  The knitting itself seems simple enough though.  The pattern accommodates sizes A-D, disappointing because just a few years ago I was a DD and would have been (as usual with "fancy" bras) left out again.  Luckily weight loss made them go down a bit but I still find it a bit unfair.  I'm not yet entirely convinced that this pattern will work for larger cups though.  The cup is knit in two piece but they're knit flat and therefore do not "cup" on their own.  But I'm not really sure how the actual construction affects this problem (fingers crossed that it will create a cup).


Most of the other patterns in this chapter would not work for my chest but I do like the Gracefully Gathered Halter Top and Boy Short.  This pattern just screams tankini (bathing suit) to me.  I don't generally wear tankinis but I would considered doing the top with a bikini bottom or the bottom with a regular top.  They also look like great shorts for the summer or perfect summer pajamas.  I really want to make this one.


Chapter 2:  The Slip

The Basic Slip pattern looks great as photographed in the book.  A perfect late spring/summer outfit with white leggings (those may actually be some pedal pushers though) underneath.  I also like the Fit-N-Flare Trumpet Skirt.  I would definitely wear something like that to work.  Just a bit fitted with that little flare and ruffle around the bottom (uh, I guess hence the title).  I also love the photo- her topless with long wavy hair covering herself at the top.  Probably something related to me seeing Splash at too young of an age.



Chapter 3:  The Corset

The corsets pictured in this chapter are not meant to give the impression of being saved for the bedroom.  I honestly don't think hand knit fabric is even the best idea for these garments.  What we are presented with are garments inspired by the corset- narrowing the waist and emphasizing the bust.  Only the first pattern, the Basic Corset, even uses boning and this is the only pattern that remotely resembles the traditional undergarment.  I really like most of the patterns in this chapter because they actually *gasp* work with my body.  My favorite is the Waist-Cincher Top.  Not, it does not lace up or sock in your gut.  It creates the idea of vertical lines through repeated yarn overs and also uses yarn overs over the bust to 1- create increases to accommodate and 2- create the visual of darts.  I love accommodated shaping and in sewing darts are a must for adjusting my clothes :o)




Tune back next time for the rest of the review!

*All photos have been taken from the respective Ravelry sites.  I have not been compensated for this review in any way.  This book has not been given to me, nor purchased by me.  It has been used as a library resource.
1 page 6, Knitting Lingerie Style
Publishing Information
McGowan-Michael, Joan.  Knitting Lingerie Style.  STC Craft:  New York, 2007.
ISBN-13: 978-1-58479-577-3
Ravelry here
Amazon here
Publisher here

PS Don't forget to enter the birthday giveaway!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails