Monday, March 7, 2011

Finished: Carefree Shawl

I'm being bad and doing everything BUT my homework.  So here's a finished project for your viewing pleasure!


I tried really hard to get the whole shawl in the picture but I couldn't without getting the doorknob in the way.

Yarn:  Knitting Like Crazy Insanity Sock in colorway Gentle Breeze
Needles:  US 4/3.5 mm
Mods:  None
Project Page:  Carefree


Jen was hosting a KAL on her blog...how could I say no??  The KAL was supposed end Friday, March 4th but I didn't finish until the 5th (more on that in a minute...).

This is an ideal first shawl/lace project.  The body is entirely garter stitch with yarn overs for increases.


The lace section is beyond easy- a great way for a beginner to learn.

I was doing pretty good with it...until I ran out of yarn with 3 rows to go in the lace edging.  Luckily, Jen is awesome and dyed more yarn for me.



Until it went missing.  Jen mailed it on February 20th.  I waited maybe a week or so before contacting her that it hadn't arrived.  She called the post office near her- nothing.  I went to my post office- also nothing.  The lady at the post office told me that Jen would have to file a lost claim.  So I told her this.  The next day she said she'd go to the post office the following day to file it.  The following day- something finally appeared on the tracking number!  It was about 15 miles from Jen's home.  Really?  Really now?!?



It arrived this past Saturday.  I finished knitting and blocking it by that evening and have been wearing it ever since.



As soon as I opened the package on Saturday, I knew the yarn was not the same as the original.  But, that's what you get when you use hand dyed!  Luckily, it really doesn't stand on since it's only those last 3 rows.  It actually is a nice highlight along the edge.


The second ball is much lighter than the original yarn.  I was going to make socks with leftovers, but the mint green is just screaming to be something baby.  I can't help it, I'm addicted to Baby Surprise Jackets (that story for another time).  I don't know how sock yarn would work out for that though.  I have to do a little more research on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails