Tuesday, January 22, 2013

VOGUEknitting LIVE! Wrap-Up, Part the Second

I got up semi early Saturday with the intentions of heading in for some shopping before my commitments for the day but no luck.  I did get up a bit early but vegged around for quite a while before heading to the train.

Once I got to the hotel, I wandered the market for 10 minutes but headed up to the Ysolda lecture very early (so early, I was the first one there).  Since this was my only scheduled event, I wanted to make sure I had a great seat.

The lecture started a little rough.  But after the first couple minutes, Ysolda was on point and did a great jobs, despite some technical and scheduling difficulties.  She had a great "make it work" moment with the help of an attendee with a smartphone.  The lighting was pretty bad for the webcam she was using to project images of swatches on the screen, but the other student used the flashlight app on her phone as a spotlight.  Gotta love us knitters :o)

Overheard at #vklive:  "Why isn't technology instant?  We're in a spaceship.  It should be instant." -Ysolda.

After the lecture, I went and did the majority of my shopping for the weekend (in about a half hour).  You'll see all my purchases in tomorrow's post though :o)

Next I went over to the Subway Knits meetup and met so many listeners!  I saw venusfueri, knityorkcity, kreyoli and stitchmistress.  And I got this picture:

That's Kim, me, and Maria- my BFF Cowl Swap partners!

Does my camera take terrible pictures or what??  Maria got a better one on her camera
In the Subway Knits BFF Cowl Swap, I sent the link I knit to kreyoli and venusfueri sent hers to me.  And I'm wearing mine here :o)

I took a quick trip through the market again before heading to my next shift- Marketplace Doors.  I felt icky through this shift- most likely dehydrated.  But it wasn't terrible.  I got to see lots of people I knew walking in and out and checked out everyone's handknits and purchases. This was my not-so-humble encounter with a designer who thought dropping her name let he do what she wanted and be pushy. Ugh. Not buying her books anytime soon. Seriously people, when you go to these events, wear your badges and don't complain about showing them, wristbands, or tickets. And no, you can't get in without them.  Most popular questions we got:  1- What floor am I on?, and 2- Where's the bathroom? (they were right behind me).  After the shift there was one more quick walk through of the Market and then I headed home.  I was not feeling up to meeting up with anyone and really just wanted my bed.

Sunday morning I got up at the ass crack of dawn because someone, ahem purlingswine, wanted to get on the 7:55 train.  But once coffee was in me I was ok.  We met up with january_one and headed to the hotel.  purlingswine wasted no time in making fun of my tabbed Guide book.  But it was necessary for my shift at the Marketplace Doors!

When the Marketplace opened, I immediately dragged purlingswine to Dragonfly Fibers.  I loved the yarn colors so much Saturday that I wanted to try my best to get them into The Village Knitter.  Ann liked it too so we brought some home to show at the shop.  My fingers are crossed.

january_one was beyond ready to head to The Plucky Knitter and we ran into Thea Coleman of Baby Cocktails over there.  She was a riot and had us almost crying from laughing at her stories.  We even had some photobombing going on.  And this:

Overheard at : "I knit my own panties"  

Off to my shift, I did some door monitoring for John Brinegar and Vedis Jonsdottir's lectures.  They were both awesome.  And another wonderful overheard:

Overheard at : "I'm being fondled" -John Brinegar. Can't say I blame the ladies- it was a nice cowl :o)

My last shift of the weekend was what I do on a regular basis:  winding yarn at the Yarn Tasting.  So many friends from the shop came by and heckled me.  Lucky I love them.

I had yet another fantastic weekend volunteering for Vogue.  It's always lots of fun meeting all the other volunteers and just getting to hang out everywhere.  Beth and Erin did a great job and were so awesome to work with.  I was absolutely flabbergasted that Beth knew me by face and name, either remembering from last year or just really good at putting names and faces together.  Either way, it was nice to work with them.  I didn't interact with Gabby and Carol much, but I saw them working their butts off constantly throughout the weekend.  I'm ready for next year's event!  So, when can I fill out the volunteer application?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had quite a wonderful experience!



Related Posts with Thumbnails